I had talked last week for a bit about how obnoxious and fragile the part of my book I was working on was. I said that I thought it was me that was being the problem and blah, blah, blah—it wasn’t, it was the book. It was actually what I had decided to do with the book that was the problem, so it was me, but not directly, or for a lack of trying.
The biggest issue really was just the fact that the tiniest mistake could upset a good twenty thousand words worth of content. I wasn’t prepared to deal with that, and honestly, if I’d set it up better, I wouldn’t have had to. So I just said, ‘You know what? I won’t!” I then proceeded to delete (highlight for later deletion) the whole part that I’d been working on for the past few weeks and start over. It was a bigger deletion than what I usually do when I kill a section, but I’ve got to say, it’s been a really long time since I’ve had as much fun writing as I did yesterday. The words just came to me and I was able to barrel through the content at full speed. It was easy, it was fun, and it was solid—I didn’t have to stop and whine about it being hard or terrible. I was keeping pretty much everything I was putting down, and it was coming through much more clearly than it had been before.
For the most part, the biggest change was from the perspective of the characters in the scene. It took place in a funky alternate realm, and from a viewpoint that was not entirely their own. Nothing was working, and so I made it different, and now it does. It honestly is a simple change, and frees up a lot of space that I don’t need to bog down with useless content that was really only there in the first place because what I was doing was confusing. I think it was confusing, in part, because I’d put too much random stuff into it, the aforementioned useless content. At the time, I needed all that stuff because the scenes made no sense without them. The weird perspective that I’d locked everything into was not helpful to me as a storyteller in the least. I thought that it would be a cool mechanism, but instead it turned out to be a nightmare and something that I’ll never, ever try to deal with again. I’m sure this is all me learning new things about writing; things to do and things not to do. Anyways, if I really need something from how it was before, I’m sure I can find a workaround, but as of now, I haven’t had that problem and I’m quite happy about it.
Not to cut this short, but I’m actually having such a good time with the book that I think I’ll go and work on it a little bit more tonight before I head to bed.